Members of the media can be your best friends. That is, if you know how to approach the relationship correctly. Here are a few tips for enhancing company-media relations:
- R-E-S-P-E-C-T: Above of, be respectful of their time and workload. Members of the media have deadlines and cannot always respond to your inquiry within your ideal time frame. Patience is key.
- Do your homework: Know the reporter and the media outlet before picking up the phone. Consider building a detailed and targeted media list to help determine which one is a good fit for your organization.
- Method of Communication is key: Make a point to know how and when the reporter wants to be contacted. Some welcome phone calls, while others prefer email or even snail mail. Also, as stated above, be aware of deadlines.
- Build trust: Never make a promise you cannot fulfill, especially to a journalist. This is the kiss of death for media relations. Promise to do your part well before the deadline and always follow though. If a conflict arises, notify them ASAP.
- Keep them in the loop: Maintain constant communication with reporters on your beat. They will appreciate the heads up especially in the event of a breaking news story.
Hungry for more tips? Read this article!